Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Agriculture is everywhere?

The reason I am starting this post with that question is because the idea is something I have never considered. Now, I recognize I am not savvy when it comes to noticing my surroundings. I have never been one to enjoy sporting events like football or baseball. Nor I have I understand things that are common in culture like art. In my perspective, art is a perfect design. Art is an algorithm that takes into consideration all inputs and handles them accordingly. This I can say is hard wired into my brain. Consider agriculture. The first thing that comes to my mind when I hear that word is tractors and farm equipment. Specifically, those that have advanced computers and GPS systems. When I hear that word, the last thing that comes to my mind is fresh produce in a supermarket.
                Agriculture is all around us. It might be the last thing that is on my mind but when I take a step back it is not hard to recognize its presence. From the salad, a health-conscious individual might be consuming, to the frozen hot pockets I eat when I am up late at night writing a new computer program. Something other than plastic had to go into making those hot pockets. Next time you are in the supermarket, I suggest you take that to heart. All products have an origin. The key is to ask yourself, ‘Where did it come from.’ After doing this I am sure you will find that most products have roots back to agriculture.

                One good example I have heard, was a story my wife told me about her sister. She grew up in a small farming community and has experience around agriculture and produce. The story she told me was that when her sister was in high school, she brought home a boy that she though was cute. One day they invited the young man to join them for dinner. However, the chores around the farm were not yet complete. My wife’s sister and the young man went out to milk one of the cows. The young man was astonished to find out that milk came out warm. He thought that It was always cold. He also believed that it had to be cold or else it would rot. The reason I relate this story to you is because I often feel like I fall into this category. In fact, I never even considered milk came out warm until she told me this story. I do not recognize that agriculture is all around unless I take a moment to stop and think about it. I most definitely do not consider where things come from. But if you and I take a moment to do that, I believe it is undeniable that agriculture is all around us.

images taken from, http://www.mediaite.com/ and  www.saladbarmn.com

No comments:

Post a Comment